The Year We Fell Down

Thursday, October 16, 2014 0 Comments A + a -

Title: The Year We Fell Down

Author: Sarina Bowen

Published Date: March 24th 2014

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Synopsis: She expected to start Harkness College as a varsity ice hockey player. But a serious accident means that Corey Callahan will start school in a wheelchair instead.

Across the hall, in the other handicapped-accessible dorm room, lives the too-delicious-to-be real Adam Hartley, another would-be hockey star with his leg broken in two places. He’s way out of Corey’s league.

Also, he’s taken.

Nevertheless, an unlikely alliance blooms between Corey and Hartley in the “gimp ghetto” of McHerrin Hall. Over tequila, perilously balanced dining hall trays, and video games, the two cope with disappointments that nobody else understands.

They’re just friends, of course, until one night when things fall apart. Or fall together. All Corey knows is that she’s falling. Hard.

But will Hartley set aside his trophy girl to love someone as broken as Corey? If he won’t, she will need to find the courage to make a life for herself at Harkness — one which does not revolve around the sport she can no longer play, or the brown-eyed boy who’s afraid to love her back.

Add to Goodreads!

Review: So I was in, I guess you can say, a reading slump. School is not particularly hard but it's a lot of work and as soon as I get out of rehearsal all I want to do is take naps. Other than the books that I'm reading for book tours and the required reading for school I haven't read any "me" books... until now.

I'm saying this now, I am as much of a fan of hockey as I am a fan of baseball. Which means that I don't know a whole lot of the sport but I know enough to get by and enjoy a game. With that being said, I love reading sports romance (I think that's a thing).
Anyways, I saw this post (click here) and immediately thought "I need to read a story involving hockey." And so I asked the wonderful world of Twitter, and my friends suggested Sarina Bowen. (Consider all her books immediately bought).
Back to the topic at hand... I recently read The Year We Fell Down and I loved it.
I was one with the story and oh my gosh was I yelling my feels at this book. 1) I know how it feels to be injured from the sport you most love. For Corey and Hartley, it was hockey. 2) Friendships really happen out of the blue.

Corey has it through her head that she'll always be looked down upon. I wanted so much to talk some sense to her. But I understand her, she had an injury that would forever mark her as disabled and it becomes harder to see yourself as valuable when you're limited to the activities you can do. That's Corey's problem, self image and worth; add in a hottie and those problems become bigger.

However, Hartley is able to climb over Corey's defensive wall and befriend her and miraculously increase her self-esteem. He has also been injured, and with their injuries, these unfortunate two form a bond. And this is where my frustration begins. You see, Hartley has a spoiled girlfriend who only really cares for herself, which then made me want to slap some sense into him! I don't think you understand my frustrations but somehow Bowen has all the reasons come to light and then I couldn't help but say "I get it."
Like Hartley says," Everyone has their shit to shovel." This is their story of doing just that, but with some added romance.

Writing one cruddy review at a time. Until next time
-Vangie
Psalm 100:4-5

Heyo! My name is Vangelina but call me Vangie. And welcome to my blog! You can stay if you want :}