Leaving Amarillo

Friday, March 13, 2015 2 Comments A + a -

Author: Caisey Quinn

Publish Date: March 17th 2014

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

Synopsis: Dixie Lark hasn’t had it easy. She lost her parents in an accident when she was young and grew up in a ramshackle house on a dirt road in Amarillo with her ailing grandparents and overprotective older brother. Thanks to her grandfather, Dixie learned to play a mean fiddle, inspired by the sounds of the greats—Johnny and June, Waylon, and Hank. Her grandfather’s fiddle changed Dixie’s life forever, giving her an outlet for the turmoil of her broken heart and inspiring a daring dream.

Ten years later, Dixie and her brother, Dallas, are creating the music they love and chasing fame with their hot band, Leaving Amarillo. But Dixie isn’t enjoying the ride. All she can think about is Gavin, the band’s tattooed, tortured drummer who she’s loved since they were kids. She knows he feels the connection between them, but he refuses see her as more than his best friend’s little sister.

Convinced that one night with Gavin will get him out of her system, Dixie devises a plan. She doesn’t know that her brother has forbidden Gavin from making a move on her-a promise he swore he’d always keep . . . a promise that once broken will unexpectedly change the future for Dixie, Gavin and the band.
Add to Goodreads!


Review: Let me just say that I thought this was going to be a happy fluffy ride. Why? I've no idea why, but that's what I thought. I was like "Yeah, this is going to be a really hot book with an awesome HEA because these characters are perfect." LIES ALL LIES.

Okay, maybe not all lies, this book was really hot. The sexual tension was as thick as a deep dish pizza; seriously this book was hot and delicious (like pizza). The characters were amazing. There really is a sense of deep character development, the flashbacks helped a multitude. If you couldn't tell from the synopsis, there are three characters. and I will say that I thought Caisey Quinn wouldn't do justice for all three of them. Thank you so much for proving me wrong. Caisey somehow took these three characters and made me feel for all three; which amazed me because I usually just feel for the MC. (Again I give credit to the flashbacks. These flashbacks were amazing.)

Okay so the only lie was the HEA. I don't know if the ending is a huge secret or not (if it is I'm sorry) but I was expecting a HEA. Maybe it's because I've read A LOT of NA books this past year that all contained some kind of HEA, and they've ruined me to think that I was going to get the same thing with this one. But I can honestly say that reading this book was a breath of fresh air, especially because of that ending. I'm not saying that it ends in a cliffhanger because in a sense it doesn't, but it does. I'll just say that it doesn't end the way you want it to. It literally leaves your jaw open, gasping for the next book (at least it did for me). 

Usually, books that surround music I'm like "oh music. Oh those are some nice lyrics. Sounds pretty cool," and that's it. I don't see the connection that the characters have for music like they say they do. All that is different when it comes to Leaving Amarillo. I felt Dixie's love for music. It was her life-line, and unlike the other books, I knew that. Without it, it felt like she was nonexistent, and I was so devoted into Dixie's thoughts that I was Dixie and I couldn't live without music.

Leaving Amarillo is not what you'll expect. It's a lot more than what you think you're about to get into. The writing is superb. The character development is excellent. The romance is sizzling. I will admit that this book is frustrating (but really what book isn't?). But as a whole this book is quite breath taking. Please read it and PLEASE TALK TO ME WHEN YOU DO I NEED PEOPLE TO TALK TO ABOUT THIS WONDERFUL BOOK.

Please tell me what I have to do to get the second book
-Vangie
Joshua 1:9
P.S. If you couldn't tell, I love pizza and I just finished eating a lot of pizza before writing this review. So if you don't like pizza I'm sorry for the references to the god given gift.

Heyo! My name is Vangelina but call me Vangie. And welcome to my blog! You can stay if you want :}

2 comments

Write comments
Unknown
AUTHOR
March 13, 2015 at 8:22 AM delete

I'm not sure I want to read a book without an HEA. I've grown accustomed.

Reply
avatar
March 13, 2015 at 8:27 AM delete

Believe me if I would have known about the ending I probably wouldn't have read it BUT thank goodness that the next book is releasing this year rather than next year. And the whole book is worth it.

Reply
avatar