Trust the Focus

Thursday, March 12, 2015 1 Comments A + a -

Author: Megan Erickson

Publish Date: March 17th 2014

Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

Synopsis: With his college graduation gown expertly pitched into the trash, Justin Akron is ready for the road trip he planned with his best friend Landry— and ready for one last summer of escape from his mother’s controlling grip. Climbing into the Winnebago his father left him, they set out across America in search of the sites his father had captured through the lens of his Nikon.
 
As an aspiring photographer, Justin can think of no better way to honor his father’s memory than to scatter his ashes at the sites he held sacred. And there’s no one Justin would rather share the experience with more than Landry.
 
But Justin knows he can’t escape forever. Eventually he’ll have to return home and join his mother’s Senate campaign. Nor can he escape the truth of who he is, and the fact that he’s in love with his out-and-proud travel companion.

Admitting what he wants could hurt his mother’s conservative political career. But with every click of his shutter and every sprinkle of ash, Justin can’t resist Landry’s pull. And when the truth comes into focus, neither is prepared for the secrets the other is hiding.

Add to Goodreads!


Review: Woah. I am speechless. I really don't know what to say, review-wise. I know I greatly enjoyed this book & I do have a lot of thoughts running around in my head about TTF but I can't seem to calm down those thoughts and type them out.

I guess that I can start with: I really did feel for Justin. I have nothing in common with him and yet I knew exactly how he felt. I understood his struggles, his thoughts, his anger, his hurt, and his being (if that somehow makes sense to y'all).

It's hard to keep to yourself, to have this big secret (whether it be like Justin's secret or something different) and no one to share it with; it's even harder to find that right person to trust completely and tell everything to. For some it takes years to find that person or group, if you asked me, Justin got lucky, he was able to find his confidant at a very young age. That's not saying that there were no struggles. There will forever be struggles, and Trust the Focus depicts, so perfectly, how hard it is to actually put yourself on the line and tell someone what you are or who you are. Yeah, that someone may be your family, your best friend for years or maybe months, or even "The One", but it doesn't lessen the stress, the anxiosness, the anxiety of actually revealing your soul to someone. Trust the Focus showed the struggles and the relief when finally confiding in someone that you love and care deeply about.

Again I state that I don't know what else to say about this book. It was good. So good. Amazing. Awesomesauce. Seriously say any positive adjective and this book is that. I am blown away by the writing, the story, the characters, absolutely everything. I wasn't expecting this much of an impact when I was about to start, but I knew, not even half way through the first chapter, that this book was going to be a journey.

If you don't think this book is for you, I strongly suggest that you give it a chance, because I thought the exact same thing and yet here I am.


Can I give all my love to Megan?
-Vangie
John 14:1
P.S. I don't know why but I think Afraid by the Neighbourhood is the perfect song for this whole book.

Heyo! My name is Vangelina but call me Vangie. And welcome to my blog! You can stay if you want :}

1 comments :

Write comments
March 13, 2015 at 12:28 AM delete

wtf! i LOVE the neighbourhood. jessie r is my baby daddy. ;) #nojoke
i am crazy about this live version: https://youtu.be/kwZk3G-44kI
it's everything. he's fucking hot as heck!

Reply
avatar