Flat-Out Love

Thursday, April 09, 2015 0 Comments A + a -

Author: Jessica Park

Published Date: April 11th 2014

Rating: 4/5 Stars

Synopsis: Something is seriously off in the Watkins home. And Julie Seagle, college freshman, small-town Ohio transplant, and the newest resident of this Boston house, is determined to get to the bottom of it. 

When Julie’s off-campus housing falls through, her mother’s old college roommate, Erin Watkins, invites her to move in. The parents, Erin and Roger, are welcoming, but emotionally distant and academically driven to eccentric extremes. The middle child, Matt, is an MIT tech geek with a sweet side … and the social skills of a spool of USB cable. The youngest, Celeste, is a frighteningly bright but freakishly fastidious 13-year-old who hauls around a life-sized cardboard cutout of her oldest brother almost everywhere she goes. 

And there’s that oldest brother, Finn: funny, gorgeous, smart, sensitive, almost emotionally available. Geographically? Definitely unavailable. That’s because Finn is traveling the world and surfacing only for random Facebook chats, e-mails, and status updates. Before long, through late-night exchanges of disembodied text, he begins to stir something tender and silly and maybe even a little bit sexy in Julie’s suddenly lonesome soul. 

To Julie, the emotionally scrambled members of the Watkins family add up to something that … well … doesn’t quite add up. Not until she forces a buried secret to the surface, eliciting a dramatic confrontation that threatens to tear the fragile Watkins family apart, does she get her answer. 


Add to Goodreads!

Review:
I've heard about this book very little since it's release. When I did hear it, it was during the time i was book-money broke. I never had the chance to buy it. Thankfully, I have an awesome library that has this book. Correction: THE AUDIOBOOK.
One day, I was strolling the aisles in the library when I spotted Flat-Out Love. But, as I said before, it was the audio and before then I never had a book literally talk to me (mainly because I'm not that good a listening). Thinking it was sign, because it was RIGHT THERE YELLING MY NAME, I decided to give this audiobook a try.

Consider me a changed woman. As soon as I left the library, I popped the CD into my car and was instantly hooked. I found myself driving in circles around my block so that I wasn't left in suspense. I didn't want to get out of the car! When I HAD to, I quickly ran to the house and popped the sucker into my laptop. From there, I listened to this audio nonstop for 6 hours while I crocheted. GUYS I don't think you understand! I have found a way to crochet AND read. Since I loved the book as well as it's audio, as soon as I finished, I went searching for more audiobooks.

Now to the actual review... 
I knew something was fishy from the beginning! Well, it says it in the synopsis but I didn't read that so you can't say anything!
Anyways, I KNEW IT... Okay one thing I love about audiobooks is that you can't skip to the last page and see how it ends. And when it came to this book, I'm so glad that I couldn't do that. Because even though I knew it, that didn't mean that I did not want to know the ending.

I freaking love Matt. Like LOVE. For me, it felt kind of awkward that the voice I was hearing was coming from a lady but that doesn't take the character away. And Matt the character I fudging love. His brain and his dang puny clothes are my life.
Finn. Get away. I don't necessarily hate you but DARN YOU. You got in the way dang it. Well technically the idea of you got in the way...(if you're confused then that's a good thing).

Julie, I don't know how I feel about you other than the fact that I like you. You're caring, smart (not Matt smart but no ones that smart), and awesome for the most part. I am just a little frustrated at you toward the end with the revelations going around. But for the most part I understand.

Another thing about audiobooks is that with the voice clearly audible, you can hear the character development. I'm pretty sure I would've seen the development while reading, but there's something about hearing it that it has a greater impact. 

Over all, this book was fantastic. It quickly became one of my favorites and has me freaking eager to get everything that Jessica Par has written.


Putting more audiobooks on hold at my library
-Vangie
Matthew 6:34
P.S. Guys I'm hooked... 
(this is where I ask for some audio book recs! PLEASE send them my way!)

Heyo! My name is Vangelina but call me Vangie. And welcome to my blog! You can stay if you want :}