Before You Break by Christina Lee

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 0 Comments A + a -


"Guilt and regret are powerful things."

Title: Before You Break

Author: Christina Lee

Published Date: February 18th 2014

Rating: FIVE GOLDEN STARS

Synopsis: A college baseball star isn't supposed to have skeletons in his closet. But Daniel Quinn is hiding a guilty past so dark he refuses to let anyone get close. Except there's something about gorgeous, studious Ella Abrams that goes beyond the electric attraction between them--something that makes him want to open up.

Ella has suffered enough heartache and guilt to fill one of her psychology textbooks, but she keeps that part of herself hidden behind a bubbly exterior. Until she receives an anonymous call while working a suicide helpline and the voice on the other end touches something inside of her that she can't ignore.

Soon Ella and Quinn's physical connection heats up, even as their deep and revealing hotline talks intensify. But by the time Ella realizes that her seductive jock and her sensitive caller are the same guy, it might be too late to save him--or to stop herself from falling too far...


Review:
"What keeps you going?"
Holy hot dang. There was just something about this book that grabbed me and didn't let go. And I didn't want to be let go, ever. Was it the amazing characters, was it their own story, was it their connection, was it the words that jumped of the pages, was it the emotions that coursed through you? For me, it was all of the above and then some.
"I was leaving one fire behind and walking into another."
What took me so long to grab this book is beyond me. I must not have read the synopsis then, because when I read it before starting this adventure it was the one thing that caught me.
"The pain never truly goes away, so you have to... file it away. And get busy living your life."
Before You Break really hit something in my heart, maybe because the story was a little close to home or because I felt every god dang emotion in this book. I was one of the characters; I wasn't just a reader. Quinn's story is of huge importance and I would be lying if I said anything else. I was intrigued about Ella's story, but mainly I wanted to know everything about Quinn, how he'd grow with what was festering inside him.
"It sucks that you can't pick your family members. But you can choose who you surround yourself with and how you handle what you're dealt in life."
Don't get me wrong, Ella is a kick ass character and I fell more in love with her getting to know her more. If anything, I inspire to be her. She still struggles through life and yet she's able to conquer her emotions and not completely obliterate them but use them to her advantage. And she's REAL. She jumped off the pages not just pieces of her, I saw her in everyone I passed by; she wasn't the character that was just a character in a book everything about her was real.
"I was the sweet, cute girl. Never gorgeous. Beautiful. Sexy."
But then you have Quinn. And how you can't love Quinn is beyond me. When I say Ella is real, somehow Quinn is more. More everything, if that helps any. Quinn is just there, he's pretty hard to miss. He's all consuming and I would've killed Ella if she didn't do anything about her feelings for him. I felt a connection to Quinn that I haven't felt with a lot of characters. And I guess that's why I say this story was close to home. And it was weired being connected to the male character than a female one, because that hasn't happened to me before.
"So what do you do when all the good inside you was yanked deep into the abyss of your soul because of one big event?"
Now that doesn't mean that Quinn is feminine because holy heck is he not and Ella can tell you that much. Ella's and Quinn's relationship was off the charts. BUT even with all the hotness that floats around them and is very much apparent, this NA is a really tamed down version of what I've read. And that's saying that the emotions coursing through steamier NA characters are the same that course through Ella and Quinn. It gives you a perspective of what a relationship could be like if sex wasn't the main point. I mean sex is awesome but sometimes it doesn't have any meaning to the main characters but that is definitely not the case in this book.
"Maybe they were attention seekers. Or maybe they needed a stranger to unload on."
I can go on and on about this amazing book and when I do it'll be when we can talk about this book. So grab it, because I eagerly want to talk about this book to someone.
"You are good through and through."
Off reading Rachel's story
-Vangie

Proverbs 3:5

Heyo! My name is Vangelina but call me Vangie. And welcome to my blog! You can stay if you want :}