Perfect Kind of Trouble by Chelsea Fine

Tuesday, July 01, 2014 0 Comments A + a -

"This is my last letter to you, and I hope you find it with different hearts than you had when you set out."
Title: Perfect Kind of Trouble

Author: Chelsea Fine

Published Date: June 17th 2014

Rating: FIVE GOLDEN STARS

Synopsis:
Sometimes when perfect falls apart, a little trouble fixes everything . . .

Twenty-one-year-old Kayla Turner has lost everything. After spending most of her life taking care of her ailing mother, she just wants to spot a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. So when her late father-a man she barely knew-leaves her an inheritance, she finally breathes a sigh of relief . . . until she learns the inheritance comes with strings. Strings in the form of handsome playboy Daren Ackwood, her father's protégé. To see any of her inheritance, she's forced to team up with him. From his expensive car to those sexy dimples, Kayla's seen his type before. But Daren isn't who he seems to be . . .

Struggling to make amends for his family's mistakes, Daren has a life more Oliver Twist than Richie Rich these days. He's beyond grateful that James Turner included him in his will, but working with Turner's princess of a daughter to fulfill his cryptic last wish is making Daren wonder if being broke is really so bad. Still, she's just as beautiful as she is stubborn, and the more time he spends with Kayla, the less it feels right being without her. Soon Daren and Kayla begin to wonder if maybe the best gift Kayla's dad could have left them . . . was each other.


Add to Goodreads

Review: *Mild Spoilers*
"Some lessons, especially those on finding love, are only learned through time and trust." 
Side note: when I first saw the title, I don't know why but I thought of baseball. I think because I read it wrong and read Perfect Kind of Curve. I don't know why but this isn't the first time this has happened to me (I read things wrong a lot of the time). But hey, I wasn't COMPLETELY off the mark, so there's that. Anyways back to the review aspect of this post...
"Yes. He's the most interesting thing that's ever happened to me."
So in the beginning, don't hate me, but I was not very fond of the main characters. I mean, I thought they were hot, because DANG they are, but their personality was a little off putting. Don't get me wrong I FUDGING LOVE THEM NOW but there were only a few scenes in the beginning where I'd slowly grow to like them. And then it happened. THE KISS and all the sexual tension that went with it.
"She smells like coconuts. I glance at her throat.Coconuts are delicious."
(Okay. I don't know what was up with me while I was reading this book, but when I read this quote I was laughing by butt of because I thought Daren could've been a vampire and I would have been completely fine with that.)
 
I'm usually not the one who roots for douchebag guy, but the thing is Daren isn't a douchebag, he's fudging awesome. And Kayla isn't the spoiled brat she's known for. And, to be honest, that's what I thought of them when I was reading through Daren and Kayla's perspective in the beginning. The writing had me thinking like the characters and when their emotions changed mine did as well. And that's the best kind of writing out there.
 "I want to be stuck with you."
(LOL, I'm sorry but these words had me thinking of Stuck Like Glue by Sugarland and I couldn't stops singing that song afterwards.)
 
There's this particular scene in the book where Kayla is reading her parents' emails to each other, and I can honestly say that I was crying. I really was. The fact that those words had me thinking about my life instead of the characters' says something. Usually my life is separated and I'm just a viewer of this other world, but here, I was in Kayla's shoes, as if they were my own, and I was feeling everything she felt reading those emails. And though I'm pretty sure Kayla felt it worse, I still felt a smudge of it and I was in a ball of tears.
 "Before you, I was lost. And now I'm... home."
I loved a dead man, but not in the way you think. Though we didn't actually meet Old Man Turner was probably my favorite character, he reminded me of a grandpa in one of my favorite movies: The Ultimate Gift. If y'all haven't seen this movie I highly suggest it because it's pretty much the same plot line... self discovery.
 "Be beautiful... You're amazing and the world is just going to have to be okay with that."
The love that surrounds Kayla and Daren had me crying. (Okay, just know this about me, I am not a crier unless someone dies or the perfect couple is stupid and doesn't get together. And the latter is tears of frustration*cough* The Opportunist *cough*.) The love is so tangible that I could rap it all around me and still have enough to wrap me a million more times. The love of Kayla from her dad, the love for Daren from the pivotal women in his life, and the love between Kayla and Daren. Beautiful.
"So go ahead. Look at me like I'm crazy. Because I AM completely, utterly, irrevocably crazy."
There's another scene involving Daren. He's describing Kayla right before her realizes how he feels. While reading the description of Kayla I felt as if he was showing of his toy because he's proud of how awesome, for lack of a better word, she is and that he has a chance to play and hang out with her.
 "Because money without love is complete poverty."
(Again, I thought of a song. The words writing in this book and the way Old Man Turner felt about the meaning of love had me thinking of The Proof of Your Love by for KING & COUNTRY. If you haven't heard it, listen.)

If I keep going with this review I'll go into Burning Hot spoilers and you don't want that, trust me. You want to experience this book with no knowledge of what's coming. Because the writing, characters, and the story line is something to experience.
"Jackpot."

With more books to read
-Vangie
Romans 14:7-8 

Heyo! My name is Vangelina but call me Vangie. And welcome to my blog! You can stay if you want :}